Union Government inks MoU for establishing IIITs at Ranchi, Nagpur & Pune
The Union Government has inked a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for establishing three Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIITs) in the country.
The agreement to this effect was signed between Department of Higher Education (DoHE) and private agencies including Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), Tata Motors, ADCC Infocad and Hubtown.
- These IIITs are being set up at Ranchi (Jharkhand), Nagpur and Pune (Maharashtra).
- Apart from the Central Government, these institutions will be operated on a Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) mode with participation of state government and industry.
- These IIITs are expected to bring out high quality Information Technology (IT) manpower required for building up IT industry in the country.
- The admission process in all the three IIITs will be done through Joint Entrance Examination (JEE)-2016 and shall have intake of 120 students in each institutions.
- With this, the total number of IIITs in the PPP mode has gone up to 16.
It should be noted that Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) are a group of institutes of higher education mainly focused on information technology. They are established, managed and funded by the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD).
Categories: India Current Affairs 2017