Union Government notifies AADHAR Act giving UIDAI legal basis
The Union Government has notified the UIDAI (Terms and Conditions of Service of Chairperson and Members) Rules, 2016 to give legal status to Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
These rules have been framed as per provisions of Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016.
- These rules have detail provisions for appointment of its chairperson and members.
- The chairperson of UIDAI will be selected on the recommendation of a search-cum-selection committee headed by the Cabinet Secretary.
- Besides, Secretaries of Department of Personnel and Training, Finance and Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DEITY) and two experts will be its members.
- The two experts will be nominated by the Union Communications and IT Minister. The Chairperson will draw a salary of the level of a Secretary.
Presently over 102 crore persons in the country have unique identity numbers and Aadhaar card. The Aadhaar has been linked to more than 12 crore LPG consumers, 27 crore bank accounts, 13 crore ration cards holders and 7 crore MGNREGA workers.
- Union Government is going to notify the Aadhaar Act in two phases for complete operationalisation of the Act.
- After the chairperson and members are appointed they will pass the regulations for notifying rest of the Act.
- Presently, only Sections 11to 20, 22 to 23 and sections 48 to 59 of the Act have been notified for operationalisation.
Categories: India Current Affairs 2017