Union Ministry of Youth Affairs makes amendments in National Sports Awards Schemes
Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has amended National Sports Awards Schemes.
The amended schemes include Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, Arjuna Award, Dhyan Chand Award and Dronacharya Awards.
These amendments were based upon several suggestions made by selection committee for Arjuna Awards headed by Kapil Dev.
Henceforth, in case of Selection Committee for Arjuna Award
- Retired Judge of Supreme Court or High Court will be its head.
- Expert belonging to para sports will be its member. He/she will be a sportsperson of eminence or sports administrator.
- It will have only one sportsperson or coach from a particular sports discipline as a member in order remove the biasness particularly in favour of a particular sports discipline.
- Nominating agencies must send nominations of most deserving sportspersons, coaches. These nominations must be irrespective of whether they have applied to them for awards.
In order to increase the power of Selection Committee
- The weightage for performance in sports events has been reduced from 90% to 80%.
- While, the weightage of marks given by the Committee for factors like profile and standard of sports events has been increased from 10% to 20%.
In case of the marks criteria, more marks will be given for medals won in individual events. While, for team events marks will be computed taking into consideration strength of the team.
Henceforth, the proceedings of Selection Committee will be videographed. Detailed internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) will be also prepared to deal with nominations received. Views of discipline experts will be also obtained for shortlisted nominations in team games.