Urdu scholar Shamim Hanfi awarded Jnangarima Manad Alankaran award
Eminent Urdu litterateur Shamim Hanfi was conferred with inaugural Jnangarima Manad Alankaran award of Bharatiya Jnanpith.
The Urdu scholar is known for his books on criticism like Ghazal Ka Naya Manzarnama, Jadidiyat ki Falsafiyani Asas and Infiradi Shaoor aur Ijtemai Zindagi.
Shamim Hanfi hails from Sultanpur in Uttar Pradesh and later had moved to Allahabad. Firaq Gorakhpuri, one of the most celebrated contemporary Urdu poets is his mentor
Earlier he had served as a faculty member in Aligarh Muslim University for a brief period of time. He also had served as the Dean of Humanities and Languages department at Jamia Millia Islamia till 2012.
Besides writing features and plays for radio and television, Shamim Hanfi also has been a freelance columnist for various Hindi and Urdu newspapers and periodicals.
About Jnangarima Manad Alankaran award
- The award has been instituted in 2015 by Bharatiya Jnanpith to commemorate 70 years of the institution.
- It recognises the contribution of writers in Indian languages.
- It award carries Saraswati statue, a silver citation and a shawl. The recipient is given stipend of 11,000 rupees per month from the institution.
About Bharatiya Jnanpith
- It is literally institute was founded in 1944 to undertake systematic research and publication of Prakrit, Pali, Sanskrit and Apabhramsha texts and literature.
- The research and publication covers wide subjects like religion, grammar, logic, philosophy, ethics, astrology and poetics.
- It annually publishes books in Hindi (both original and translated works) and other languages.
- The institute also presents the prestigious literary awards such Jnanpith Awards and Moortidevi Award.
Categories: Awards Current Affairs 2017