Veteran theatre personality Achyut Lahkar passes away
Veteran theatre personality, playwright and doyen of Assam’s mobile theatre movement Achyut Lahkar passed away in Pathsala, Assam following a protracted illness. He was 85.
He was considered as the father of the Bhryamyman or Mobile Theatre of Assam. He had given birth to mobile theatre in Assam in the 1960s.
About Achyut Lahkar
- Born in 1931 at Pathsala, Assam. He was a theatre enthusiast from his childhood days.
- He was a pioneering actor, dramatist, director and producer and staged numerous memorable plays on the mobile theatre stage.
- He had founded Nataraj Theatre, the first mobile theatre company of Assam in 1963, which later gave the mobile theatre movement the shape of a successful entertainment industry.
- He also had published and edited an illustrated magazine called Deepawali for some time.
- Awards and Honours: Kamal Kumari National Award (1997), Mancha Prabhakar Award, Bhaben Barua Award and Braja Nath Sarma Award.
Categories: Persons in News 2017