Soon Women to get Combat Role in Indian Army
The Indian Army is expected to soon open up combat positions for women. This has been stated by Army Chief Gen. Bipin Rawat. The Indian Army has taken up this issue with the government.
Initially, women are to be recruited for positions in military police. At present, women are employed in select areas such as medical, legal, educational, signals and engineering wings of the Army but are not offered combat roles due to operational concerns and logistical issues.
As of now, only a few countries such as Germany, Australia, Canada, the U.S., Britain, Denmark, Finland, France, Norway, Sweden and Israel have allowed women in combat roles.
The role of military police are as follows:
- Policing the cantonments and Army establishments,
- To prevent breach of rules and regulations by soldiers,
- Maintain the movement of soldiers and logistics during peace and war,
- Handling prisoners of war and
- Aid the civil police whenever required.
Categories: Defence Current Affairs 2017