2016 BRICS Labour & Employment Ministerial Meet held in New Delhi
The 2016 BRICS Labour & Employment Ministerial Meet was held in New Delhi from September 27- 28, 2016 to deliberate on issues including job creation and social security for workers.
The two day meeting saw the participation of the five major emerging BRICS economies viz. Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
- The meeting had dedicated sessions on employment generation, social security, inclusive development and formalization.
- Fruitful discussions on areas of common labour and employment issues among the BRICS countries were held.
- The BRICS Labour and Employment Ministerial Declaration was also adopted at the end of these discussions.
- Member countries proposed strong interventions and actions in areas concerning social security, employment generation and formalization of labour markets leading to inclusive and sustainable development.
- They also agreed to pursue bi-lateral social security agreements amongst the BRICS member states.
- They also acknowledged the need to develop a network of lead labour research and training institutions in BRICS member states.