2019 new deadline for completion of PMGSY
Union Government has reduced the deadline for completion of flagship Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) for rural connectivity through all- weather roads from 2022 to 2019.
The annual allocation of the Central release for PMGSY works during year 2015-16 also has been increased by 5,000 crore rupees. With this, the total Central allocation to states under PMGSY would now be 15,100 crore rupees.
- By providing enhanced financial allocation through a modified funding pattern in the PMGSY scheme, Government is seeking to accelerate the implementation of rural connectivity.
- It is also considering giving financial incentives to the states achieving the targets allocated to them under the PMGSY.
- Government also has accepted the recommendation of the Sub-Group of Chief Ministers on Rationalization of Centrally Sponsored on modified sharing pattern.
- Recommendations: The sub group has recommended that fund sharing pattern of PMGSY between the Centre and States for all states will be in the ratio of 60:40.
- But for all land locked 8 North Eastern states and 3 Himalayan states, the fund sharing pattern of PMGSY between the Centre and States will be in the ratio of 90:10.
About Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY)
- PMGSY was launched in year 2000 as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme.
- Objective: To provide single all-weather road connectivity to all eligible unconnected rural villages (habitations).
- Nodal Authority: Union Ministry of Rural Development. It was fully funded by the central government.
- Implantation: Under phase I of PMGSY, 1,78,184 unconnected habitations were identified.
- So far, 1,12,550 identified habitations which accounts for 63 per cent of the target have been connected with the PMGSY roads.
- Presently, about 37 per cent of identified habitations as per the mandate of the scheme are yet to be connected with the PMGSY roads.
Categories: Government Schemes & Projects