22nd December: National Mathematics Day
Every year 22nd December is observed as National Mathematics Day to celebrate birth anniversary of great Indian autodidact Mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan.
This year, it will be the 128th birth anniversary of Srinivasa Ramanujan.
About Srinivasa Ramanujan
- Srinivasa Ramanujan was born on 22nd December, 1887 in Erode district of Tamil Nadu.
- He was considered as doyen of number theory, infinite series, mathematical analysis, and making formulas and equations without any formal training in pure mathematics.
- Key contributions: As a mathematical genius, he had compiled more than 3900 mathematical results and equations.
- His Ramanujan Prime and Ramanujan theta discoveries had inspired further research on this mathematical subject.
- Along with British Mathematician Hardy, Ramanujan had discovered the smallest number represented as sum of two cubes 1729 which is known as Hardy-Ramanujan number.
In 2011, Union Government had declared 22nd December as ‘National Mathematics Day’ to celebrate Ramanujan’s 125th birth anniversary. Government also had declared year 2012 as National Mathematics Year.
Categories: Important Days and Events