27 Indian satellites currently operational: Union Government
Union Government has announced as many as 27 Indian satellites are currently operational.
It was announced by Minister of State for Prime Minister Office (PMO) & Department of Space Jitendra Singh said during Question Hour of Lok Sabha.
Among the 27 operational satellites, 11 are communication satellites, 12 are earth observation satellites, 3 are navigational satellites and 1 is Mars orbiter mission.
Union Government also announced
- One more satellite will be launched in March 2015, while 3 more are in the pipeline.
- India is also taking leading role in launching satellites for the SAARC nations.
- Currently 95 Ku-band (a part of K band) transponders onboard indigenous communication satellites are being utilised for various communication applications.
- India also has perfected the science of weather forecasting. Thus accurately predicting cyclone and other natural calamities in recent times.
- With successful launch of five satellites in June 2015, India has entered the area of commercial satellites. It also laid the foundation of future satellite programmes.