29th Surajkund International Crafts Mela begins in Haryana
29th Surajkund International Crafts Mela has begun in Faridabad district of Haryana.
It was inaugurated by Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar along with Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh, Raman Singh.
The theme state this year is Chhattisgarh.
Lebanon is the Partner Nation of this year’s Mela and it will be open till 15 February 2015.
- In this Mela, Haryana will present its tribal heritage and culture especially from forests of Bastar which is still well-preserved.
- While, the artistes from Chhattisgarh will showcase various folk dances namely Panthi, Rawat Nacha Pandwani, Chaitra, Kaksar, Saila and Soowa.
- Lebanon as partner nation of the Mela will unveil its ancient heritage of creating crafts in style.
The 18 countries are participating in this year’s Mela. They are Lebanon, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Russia, Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Georgia, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Qatar, Thailand, Uganda and Syria.
Suraj Kund mela
- It was started in 1987 and is held every year since then from February 1-15 and .
- Traditional craftsman (artists, painters, weavers and sculptors) from all parts of the country participate in this annual celebration named as the “Surajkund Crafts Mela” or “Surajkund designer’s Village”.