3rd Meeting of Council of Trade Development and Promotion held in New Delhi
The third meeting of Council of Trade Development and Promotion (CTDP) was held in New Delhi. It was chaired by Union Minister for Commerce & Industry Suresh Prabhu and was attended by CM of Goa, Deputy Chief Minister of Gujarat, ministers from 11 states, senior state government officials and industry bodies.
The objective of the meeting was to enhance the Centre’s cooperation with the states and union territories in making the latter active partners in boosting India’s exports.
Council for Trade Development and Promotion (CTDP)
CTDP was constituted in July, 2015 to ensure a continuous dialogue with State Governments/UTs on measures for providing International trade enabling environment in States. The council was constituted to promote India’s overseas shipments. It acts as platform to develop partnership with states with aim to boost international trade. It also seeks to create a framework for making states active partners in boosting India’s exports.
The Union Commerce and Industry Minister is Chairperson of CTDP. Ministers’ in-charge of Trade and Commerce in State Governments/UTs are its members. Besides 14 secretaries of central government, including commerce, revenue, shipping, civil aviation, agriculture, food processing and economic affairs are also its members.
Mandate of CTDP
- Provide platform to State Governments/UTs for articulating their perspectives on trade policy.
- Help State Governments/UTs develop and pursue export strategies in line with national Foreign Trade Policy
- Provide platform for deliberation on need for infrastructure relevant for promoting trade and for identification of impediments and infrastructure gaps which adversely affect India’s export.
- Provide platform to Union Government for apprising State Governments/UTs about international development affecting India’s trade potential and opportunities and prepare them to deal with evolving situation.
- Facilitate mechanism for discussion on operationalization of trade infrastructure.
Categories: Important Days and Events