68th Republic Day celebrated on 26 January 2017
India celebrated its 68th Republic Day on January 26, 2017 with the theme “Skill India and Beti Bachao Beti Padhao”.
The day honours the date on which the Indian Constitution came into force on 26th January, 1950 replacing the Government of India Act, 1935 as the governing document.
- This year, Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and the Deputy Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces of United Arab Emirates (UAE) was the Chief Guest of the official ceremony.
- The country’s military prowess and achievements in different fields, state-of-the-art defence platforms, and diverse culture was displayed at the Republic Day parade at Rajpath in Delhi.
- For the first time, a contingent of the National Security Guard (NSG), popularly known as the Black Cat Commandoes, also took part in the parade. A contingent of UAE soldiers also marched down the Rajpath.
- The Indian Army’s missile firing capability, Infantry Combat Vehicle BMP-2K, T-90 ‘Bhishma’ tank, Mobile Autonomous Launcher of the BrahMos Missile System, Akash Weapon System, and Dhanush Gun System were displayed at the event.
- Tableaux from seventeen states and union territories, six Central Ministries and Departments were also presented depicting varied historical, art and cultural heritage of the country.
- President Pranab Mukherjee awarded Ashok Chakra, country’s highest peacetime military decoration to Havaldar Hangpan Dada posthumously for selfless service to nation.
Categories: India Current Affairs 2018