Aam Aadmi Party-led Delhi government Okays 50% power subsidy
The Aam Aadmi Party-led Delhi government declared 50% subsidy on the power tariff to benefit approximately 28 lakh households, after announcing 667 litres of water free of charge to all households in the capital who have metered connections.
Salient Features of the Power Tariff Subsidy
- 50 % subsidy would be provided to domestic electricity consumers, who consume up to 400 units per unit. The decision will benefit 28 lakh consumers.
- The subsidy will be available from Jan 1.
- For up to 200 units, the cost of one unit would be Rs.1.95 against the actual rate of Rs.2.90. Right now, consumers are paying Rs.2.70 after the previous government introduced a subsidy.
- For up to 400 units, the cost per unit would be Rs.2.90 against the actual rate of Rs.5.80. Presently; consumers are paying Rs.5 after the previous government introduced subsidy.
- No subsidy will be available to domestic consumers who cross the consumption limit of 400 units.
- Additional requirement to provide this subsidy from January-March 2014 will be Rs.2 billion
Note: Delhi Chief Minister, Mr. Arvind Kejriwal is also in process to bring the three power distribution companies – BSES Yamuna Power Ltd, BSES Rajdhani Power Ltd and Tata Power Delhi Distribution Ltd – under the purview of the Comptroller and Auditor General.