Actress Rekha conferred 2016 Yash Chopra Memorial Award
Veteran Bollywood actress and Rajya Sabha MP Rekha has been conferred with the third edition of Yash Chopra Memorial Award.
The award was bestowed upon her by Maharashtra Governor C Vidyasagar Rao in recognition of her talent and contribution to the film industry.
- Born as Bhanu Rekha Ganesan on 10 October 1954 in Chennai in then Madras State (now Tamil Nadu).
- She is known for her versatility and is acknowledged as one of the finest actresses in Hindi cinema.
- She had started her film career in 1966 as a child actress in the Telugu film Rangula Ratnam. Her film debut as a lead was in Sawan Bhadon (1970).
- Since then she has acted in more than 180 films in a career spanning over 40 years.
- She has won 3 Filmfare Awards, 2 for Best Actress and 1 for Best Supporting Actress for her roles in Khubsoorat (1980), Khoon Bhari Maang (1988) and Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi (1996), respectively.
- She has won National Film Award for Best Actress for her portrayal of a classical courtesan in the film Umrao Jaan (1981).
- Government of India has honoured her with the Padma Shri in 2010.
About Yash Chopra Memorial Award
- It is an annual award bestowed upon distinguished senior film personality for outstanding contribution to film industry
- The award has been instituted by the TSR Foundation of T Subbarami Reddy in the memory of the producer-director Yash Chopra who died in 2012.
- It carries Gold Medal and a cash prize of 10 lakh rupees. Melody queen Lata Mangeshkar (2013) and megastar Amitabh Bachchan (2014) have been also conferred with this award.
Categories: Awards & Honours