Ahmedabad becomes first city in South Asia to launch a heat wave preparation and warning system
Ahmedabad became the First city in South Asia to create a comprehensive early warning system and plan to prepare for extreme heat events fuelled by climate change.
Ahmedabad’s Heat Action Plan:
The plan describesboth immediate and long-term actions to reduce the health effects of heat on vulnerable populations. It includes:
- Preventative training and awareness camps for medical professionals and slum community.
- Heat-health protection trainings for school children, outdoor workers, and other vulnerable groups.
- Coordinated action by government agencies at the municipal, state, and national levels to ensure successful implementation of the plan and warning system.
- Proper intimation to population when risk of heat related illness exist or imminent .
Major contributors / collaborators in the Heat Action Plan:
- Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC)
- Indian Institute of Public Health,Gandhinagar
- Public Health Foundation of India
- Natural Resources Defence Council
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- Rollins School of Public Health of Emory University
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Climate and Development Knowledge Network (CDKN)
Categories: Places in News