Andhra Pradesh government signs pact with ICRISAT to boost sustainable farming
Andhra Pradesh government has signed a pact with the International Crop Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) to boost sustainable farming in the state.
In this regard, Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) was signed by state government with ICRISAT.
Key highlights of agreement
- It seeks to provide assistance in making agriculture sustainable and profitable in state by increasing productivity of agriculture and allied sectors.
- Strategy paper: ICRISAT will prepare a strategy paper for primary sector mission, hold research and development (R&D) and establish sites of learning in districts of Andhra Pradesh.
- Use of Technology: Best technological tools and scientific practices from across the world will be incorporated into primary sector activities of state.
- International expertise: ICRISAT will bring in international expertise from CGIAR centres. It will include consortium of international organisations like International Livestock Research Centre (ILRI), International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), International Water Management (IWMI), Asia Vegetable Research and Development Centre (AVRDC), International Centre for Improvement of Maize and Development Centre (AVRDC), World Fish Centre and International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- This consortium will also bring in regional and national research institutions for the benefit of farmers.
- Pilot sites: It will be established in 13 districts (10,000 hectares each) of state to educate farmers for increasing productivity, profitability and sustainability through science-led development and climate-smart agriculture
- Quality assurance system for soil analytical laboratories: It will be developed to undertake capacity building for staff and upgrade existing soil labs for nutrient profile analysis.
- Public–private partnership (PPP): ICRISAT will assist state government in developing PPP mode guidelines, mobilise private entrepreneurs and organise a Global Investors Meet.