Andhra Pradesh Harita-Priya Agriculture Project wins 2016 WSIS Prize
Andhra Pradesh Agriculture Project has won the prestigious World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) 2016 prize in the e-Agriculture category.
Harita-Priya (Harmonized Information of Agriculture, Revenue and Irrigation for a Transformation Agenda – Precision Technology for Agriculture) Project is meant to collect very specific climate data from farms and give farmers personalised information through SMS.
- The Harita-Priya Project uses wireless sensor networks to collect micro-climatic information from farms.
- The data is used to create advisories and alerts on irrigation schedules and pests and plant diseases.
- Based on this state agriculture officers disseminate personalised crop advisories in Telugu language to farmers by way of SMS.
- The Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC) in Hyderabad has developed the project and is having a pilot run in Anantpur district.
- Andhra Pradesh government, Central Research Institute for Dryland Agriculture (CRIDA), Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) station and Acharya N G Ranga Agricultural University also have partnered for the project.