Andhra Pradesh High Court directs 2 Telugu actors to return Padma Shri
The Andhra Pradesh High Court directed to Telugu actors Mohan Babu and Brahmanandam Kanneganti to surrender Padam Shri to the President of India, as they allegedly misused it. The HC gave its decision on the petition filed by the BJP senior leader N Indraseena Reddy.
Why High Court directed Telgu actors to return Padam Shri?
- Tollywood actor-producer Mohan Babu bestowed the award in 2007 and comedian Brahmanandam in 2009, in acknowledgment of their services to the Telugu film industry.
- They both used the title ‘Padma Shri’ before their names for promoting the Telugu feature film “Denikaina Ready” (‘Ready for Anything’, produced by Mr. Mohan Babu and starring his son Vishnu).
- The petitioner argued that as per the Article 18(1) of the Constitution, the national awards does not amount to a title and cannot be used as suffixes or prefixes.
- Aftermath, the Court took the serious note of the actors for prefixing the name of the award to their names in the credits of the Telugu movie that was released in 2012.
- And raised objection for using ‘Padma Shri’ in title cards in a wrong way (as if it was their surname) and delivered judgment in the petitioner’s favour. This will be a lesson for the actors who misuse the honorary award.
About Padma Awards
Padma Awards, the country’s highest civilian awards, are conferred in three Categories viz. Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri. The Awards are given in all disciplines/ fields of activities, viz. art, social work, Public affairs, science and engineering, trade and industry, medicine, literature And education, sports, civil service, etc.
- ‘Padma Vibhushan’ is awarded for exceptional and distinguished service;
- ‘Padma Bhushan’ for distinguished service of high order and
- ‘Padma Shri’ for distinguished service in any field.
The awards are announced on the occasion of Republic Day every year. The Awards are conferred by the President of India at a function held at Rashtrapati Bhawan sometime around March/ April.