Android phone market share rose to 81%
As per a survey by IDC, the penetration of Google’s Android platform enhanced such that it is used on four out of five smartphones sold worldwide. Microsoft’s Windows Phone too registered sharp rise with an increase of 156% in sales.
As per the survey:
- Android market share surged to 81%, extending its lead over Apple’s iOS, used on its iPhones, In 2012, Android’s share was 74.9%.
- Despite making 25.6% growth in sales, Apple’s overall market share declines to 12.9% from 14.4% in the same period in 2012.
- Windows Phone has come up as the number three smartphone platform with a market share of 3.6%, up from 2%. It recorded a sales growth by 156%, with more than 90% made by Nokia, the Finnish group whose handset division is set to be acquired by Microsoft.
- The share of BlackBerry reduced further to 1.7% from 4.1% in the same period a year ago. Its sales too plunged 41.6% from a year ago despite the launch of the new BlackBerry 10 operating system.
- The overall market for smartphones expanded 39.9% year-over-year, to 261 million units.
Tags: Current Affairs 2013