US announces to provide work permits to spouses of H-1B visa holders

United States (US) has announced to provide work permits to spouses of H-1B visa holders from 26 May 2015. Under existing US laws, spouses of H-1B visa holders are not eligible to work.

This announcement is expected to benefit thousands of talented and professional spouses who have settled in US but are unable to work.

As per new rules, US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will begin accepting applications for work visas of H-1B spouses from 26 May 2015.

In this regard H-1B visa holders spouse has to submit Form I-765 to USCIS. Once this form is accepted by USCIS, H-4 dependent spouse will be granted an Employment Authorisation Card to start working in US.

This move is going to benefit more than 1.79 lakh in the first year and 55,000 annually in subsequent years especially Indians.

About H-1B visa

  • It is a non-immigrant visa in US under section 101(a)(15)(H) of Immigration and Nationality Act.
  • H-1B visa allows US employers to temporarily employ foreign workers in specialty occupations. It should be noted that H-1B work-authorization is strictly limited to employment by the sponsoring employer.



Categories: International



Video from Our Channel