Archana Ramasundram becomes 1st woman DG of Sashastra Seema Bal
Senior IPS officer Archana Ramasundram (58) was appointed as the Director General of Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB).
With this, she became first woman police officer to lead a central police force that guards the country’s international borders. She will be in office till the date of her superannuation 30 September 2016.
Prior to this appointment, she was the Director of New Delhi based National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB). She is 1980-batch IPS officer of Tamil Nadu Cadre.
About Sashastra Seema Bal
- SSB is one of India’s Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs). It was formerly known as the Special Service Bureau.
- Established: 1963 following the Sino-Indian War.
- Motto: Service, Security and Brotherhood.
- Headquarters: New Delhi.
- Specialist jurisdictions: National border patrol, security, and integrity. It is entrusted with guarding the country’s frontiers with Nepal and Bhutan.
- Currently, SSB is under the administrative control of the Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
- Note: SSB is often referred to as a paramilitary force but it is not one of the three officially defined paramilitary forces of India. Three forces are Assam Rifles, Special Frontier Force and Indian Coast Guard.
Categories: International Current Affairs 2017