Ashok Chawla appointed as Chancellor of TERI University
Former Finance Secretary Ashok Chawla has been appointed as the new Chancellor of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) University.
The decision of his appointment was taken in the governing council meeting of TERI. He is currently serving as the Chairman of TERI since February 2016.
With this appointment, TERI has ended its last association with former Chancellor and Head R.K. Pachauri, who was accused of sexually harassing a female colleague in 2015.
Ashok Chawla is former Union Finance Secretary. He is former Chairman of the Competition Commission of India (CCI). He was IAS officer of 1973 batch of Gujarat cadre.
About The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI)
- TERI is a non-profit research institution that conducts research work in the fields of energy, environment and sustainable development.
- Established in 1974 as Tata Energy Research Institute and was renamed The Energy and Resources Institute in 2003.
- It aims to focus on formulating local and national level strategies for shaping global solutions to critical issues.
- Presently, it has over 1200 employees especially research professionals from different disciplines pertaining to issues of environment and energy.
- In 2013, it was ranked as the topmost global think-tank by the International Centre for Climate Governance (ICCG).
Categories: Persons in News