Assam Government launches Rhino horn verification process
The Assam Government has launched Rhino horn verification process for verifying rhino horns stored in various treasuries of Assam since 1980.
The process will be responsible for verifying the genuineness of the rhino horns, which were recovered since 1980s and stored in various treasuries.
The process of verification will be conducted by 12-member Rhino Horn Verification Committee which was recently instituted by state government.
- The committee is headed by former forest officer and former Assam State Information Commissioner, Mohan Chandra Malakar.
- The other members of the committee includes 4 wildlife experts, 2 representatives from media, 1 RTI activist, 1 forensic scientist and 4 officials of the state Forest department.
- The committee will be visiting every treasury of Assam that stores horn and shall submit its report within 60 days.
- The verification process includes checking of genuineness and updating the complete inventory of rhino horns in the custody of Assam government.
- The rhino horns in the custody of Assam government are scattered in 12 treasuries of Assam. The maximum horns are in Golaghat followed by Nagaon, Guwahati and Tezpur.