Australia wins 2016 Champions Trophy title of Hockey
Australia has won the 2016 Champions Trophy title of Hockey by defeating India by 3-1 score. With this victory, Australia created history by winning the title for record 14 times.
In the final match played at London (United Kingdom), both teams in regulation period failed to score goals. However in the penalty shootout Australia managed to defeated India by scoring 3 goals to 1 goal.
For Australia, in penalty shootout goals were scored by Aran Zalewski, Daniel Beale and Simon Orchard. For India, the single goal was scored by Harmanpreet Singh. With this defeat India settled for the silver medal.
About Champions Trophy Hockey Title
- The title is an international field hockey tournament organized by the International Hockey Federation.
- It was established in 1978 by Pakistan’s Air Marshal Nur Khan and the Pakistan Hockey Federation.
- Earlier, the tournament was organized annually, but since 2014 it has become a biennial event, due to the introduction of the Hockey World League.
- This tournament features the world’s top-ranked field hockey teams competing in a round robin format.
- In the men’s tournament, the Australians have won the trophy 14 times followed Germany 10 times and the Netherlands 8 times, Pakistan 3 times.