Bezwada Wilson, TM Krishna win Ramon Magsaysay Award 2016
Two Indians, social activist Bezwada Wilson and musician TM Krishna, have won the prestigious Ramon Magsaysay Award 2016.
They are among the total six awardees selected for the 2016 Ramon Magsaysay Award, often regarded as Asia’s Nobel Prize.
The 6 awardees are
- Bezwada Wilson (India): He has been recognized for asserting the inalienable right to a life of human dignity. He is the National Convener of the Safai Karmachari Andolan (SKA). He has done remarkable work in liberating scores of people engaged in manual scavenging across the country.
- Thodur Madabusi Krishna (India): He has been recognized for ensuring social inclusiveness in culture. He is a Carnatic music vocalist.
- Conchita Carpio Morales (Philippines): She has been recognized for restoring faith in the rule of law.
- Dompet Dhuafa (Indonesia): She has been recognized for expanding the transformative impact of zakat.
- Japan Overseas Cooperation Volunteers (Japan): The organisation has been recognized for building a world of genuine solidarity.
- Vientiane Rescue (Laos): The organisation has been recognized for volunteering to save lives at risk.
They will be bestowed with this award at the awarding ceremony scheduled to be held at the Cultural Center of the Philippines in Pasay City on August 31, 2015 i.e. on the birth anniversary of former Filipino President Ramon Magsaysay.
About Ramon Magsaysay Award
- Ramon Magsaysay Award is Asia’s highest honour and is often regarded as the region’s equivalent of the Nobel Prize.
- It was established in 1957 in the memory of Philippines’ 3rd President Ramon Magsaysay who had died in air disaster in March 1957.
- It was established by trustees of the New York City based Rockefeller Brothers Fund and Philippine government.
- It is awarded annually to individuals or organizations from Asia region for their altruistic and philanthropic service.
- The award carries a Medallion bearing the likeness of the late President Ramon Magsaysay, cash prize and a certificate.