Bill prohibiting Manual Scavenging passed in Lok Sabha
The Lok Sabha passed the Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Bill 2012. The Bill prohibits employment of manual scavengers, manual cleaning of sewers and septic tanks without protective equipment and construction of insanitary latrines. It also seeks to rehabilitate manual scavengers and provide for their alternative employment.
What are the key points in the Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Bill 2012 ?
According to the Bill:
- The employment of manual scavengers, the manual cleaning of sewers and septic tanks without protective equipment, and the construction of insanitary latrines is prohibited.
- It provides for rehabilitation of manual scavengers and their alternative employment.
- Each local authority, cantonment board and railway authority is responsible for surveying insanitary latrines within its jurisdiction. They shall also construct a number of sanitary community latrines.
- Each occupier of insanitary latrines shall be responsible for converting or demolishing the latrine at his own cost. If he fails to do so, the local authority shall convert the latrine and recover the cost from him.
- The implementing authorities shall be District Magistrate and the local authority.
- Offences under the Bill shall be cognizable and non-bailable, and may be tried summarily.
Categories: Governance & Politics