Boxer Manoj Kumar receives prestigious Arjuna Award
Boxer Manoj Kumar was awarded prestigious Arjuna Award by Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal in New Delhi. He was awarded this award after winning a High Court case against Sports ministry. Manoj Kumar is 2010 Commonwealth Games gold medalist.
Earlier, Kapil Dev-led award selection committee had denied Manoj this award, due false belief that he was involved in a doping case. Instead of Manoj, the committee had recommended name of another boxer Jai Bhagwan for this award.
After this denial, Manoj had approached the Sports Ministry who had assured him that his name would be added to the list in a review meeting. But he was again sidelined by the Sports Ministry.
After he was sidelined, he took the legal route and filed a case in the Delhi High Court against the ministry. He won this case and that led to the ministry accepting his nomination for the award.
About Arjuna Award
- The Arjuna Awards are given by the Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports to sportsperson for their recognition and outstanding achievement in National sports. It was instituted in 1961.
- The award carries a monetary prize of Rs. 500,000, a bronze statuette of Arjuna and a scroll.
- From the year 2001, the award is given only in disciplines falling under the following categories:
- Olympic Games / Asian Games / Commonwealth Games / World Cup / World Championship Disciplines and Cricket.
- Indigenous Games.
- Physically Challenged Sports.