Boxing Coach Swatantra Raj Singh recommended for Dronacharya award
Boxing Coach Swatantra Raj Singh has been recommended for the prestigious life time achievement Dronacharya award 2015.
Along with Singh, Nihar Amin (Swimming) and Harbans Singh (Athletics) also have been chosen for this year’s Dronacharya award.
Their names were finalised by the award selection committee meeting presided by former Olympic Badminton Player Dipankar Bhattacharya and comprised of Woman Swimmer Bula Chaudhry and Woman Athlete Chaini Wilson.
About Dronacharya Award
- The award is bestowed on person in recognition of his excellence in sports coaching.
- Established in 1985 and named after Dronacharya who was the teacher of Arjuna (a protagonist of the Mahabharata along with Krishna).
- The award is presented by the Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
- Award caries: A bronze statuette of Dronacharya, a scroll of honour and a cash component of five lakh rupees.
- It should be noted that O.M. Nambiar (Athletics), Om Prakash Bhardwaj (Boxing) and Bhalchandra Bhaskar Bhagwat (Wrestling) were the first recipients of this prestigious award.
- I. Fernandez (Boxing) from Cuba is the first foreign coach to be awarded Dronacharya Award in 2012.
Categories: Awards Current Affairs 2018