Bunkar Mitra Helpline for Handloom Weavers went live
The Union Ministry of Textiles’ Bunkar Mitra Helpline for Handloom Weavers went live. It was launched by the Union Textiles Minister Smriti Zubin Irani on the occasion of Good Governance Day (on December 25, 2016).
The helpline aims to provide a single point of contact to handloom weavers across the country for addressing their queries and seek guidance. This helpline can be accessed by dialing the toll free number 1800-208-9988.
- The helpline seeks to overcome the problem of unavailability of single point of contact where weavers can seek solutions for their technical issues/problems.
- Services available through this helpline include access to marketing linkages, assistance on technical issues and information about various schemes and procedure to avail benefits.
- Weavers can seek experts’ advice from the field of textiles such as guidance for raw material supply, availing credit facility, quality control, access to marketing linkages and information about various schemes.
- Initially the helpline will be provided in 7 languages viz., English, Hindi and 5 other regional languages Tamil, Telugu, Kannada Bengali and Assamese.
- Currently 28 Weavers’ Service Centres (WSCs) are functioning across the country to provide technical assistance to handloom weavers in improving their skills.
Categories: India Current Affairs 2017