Art & Culture Current Affairs
Latest Art & Culture Current Affairs 2019-2020 for UPSC Exams, Bank Exams, Civil Services, SSC and other Competitive Exams. Latest developments in Art & Culture with all important art and culture current affairs updates.
Acclaimed Indian sculptor and artist Mrinalini Mukherjee has passed away in New Delhi. She was 65.
She was best known for her sculptures, crafted using knotted hemp ropes and cast bronzes.
- Ms. Mukherjee was daughter of seminal Santiniketan artists Benode Behari and Leela Mukherjee.
- She had studied painting at M S University in Baroda between 1965 and 1970 and later undertook a post diploma in mural design under K G Subramanyan.
- She was the first Indian artist whose work was displayed at the Sydney Biennale in 1986.
- In 1994, her art sculptures were displayed in the Museum of Modern Art, Oxford and later travelled all over United Kingdom.
- In 2013, her work was included in the The Body in Indian Art, an exhibition curated by Naman Ahuja at Bozar in Brussels.
Tags: Current Affairs 2016 • Mrinalini Mukherjee • Museum of Modern Art • Sydney Biennale • The Body in Indian Art
The 17th edition of Bharat Rang Mahotsav has begun in New Delhi. It is a theatre festival, organized by National School of Drama (NSD).
It was inaugurated by Culture Minister Dr Mahesh Sharma and National Award-winning actor and NSD alumnus Om Puri.
This year’s edition will showcase more than 200 national and international theatre performances.
International performances will include theatre productions from countries like Poland, Israel, USA, France and Bangladesh.
Bharat Rang Mahotsav
- It was established in 1999 as an annual theatre festival of National School of Drama (NSD).
- Originally it was founded to show case, works of Indian theatre practitioners but later it got international fame and attracted international performers as well.
- Now it is acknowledged as the largest theatre festival of Asia.
- National School of Drama (NSD) is India’s premier theatre training institute operating under the aegis of Union Ministry of Culture.