Art & Culture
Latest Art & Culture Current Affairs 2018 for UPSC Exams, Bank Exams, Civil Services, SSC and other Competitive Exams. Latest developments in Art & Culture Current 2017-18 all important national updates in Art & Culture Current events for the year 2018
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Ministry of Railways has initiated several steps to promote heritage conservation. The conservation measures undertaken by railways include a revival of Steam Locomotives, up-keeping Hill Railways, a special delegation of powers to Divisions for promoting Hill and Steam tourism, strengthening Railway museums, conservation of built heritage, digitization of Railway Heritage and bringing it online for universal access etc.
Measures undertaken for Heritage conservation
The measures undertaken for heritage conservation are:
- Zonal Railways/Production Units are organising drives from time to time for identification and preservation of Railway heritage assets like buildings, bridges, rolling stocks, documents, photographs, artefacts, equipment, clocks, benches etc, which currently lying unnoticed or overlooked at different locations.
- A specific provision was made by the Ministry of Railways in the budget outlay for 2018-19 for the revival of steam locomotives including restoration and procurement of spares.
- A weekly regular timetabled train on steam traction has been made operational between Garhi Harsaru and Farukhnagar.
- Maintenance of five hill railways of India [Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (DHR), Nilgiri Mountain Railway (NMR), Kalka Shimla Railway (KSR), Matheran Light Railway(MLR) and Kangra Valley Railway (KVR)] are undertaken as per codal provision of Indian Railways and UNESCO Guidelines.
- Special powers have been delegated to Divisional Railway Managers of five hill railways for promoting tourism in these five hill railways.
Ministry of Railways had also organised a day-long event of heritage officers of Zonal Railways and Production Units to give complete attention to the century-old rich heritage of Indian Railways and to train them in heritage conservation approaches.
A postal stamp dedicated to Nabin Chandra Das, inventor of Rosogolla was launched on the inaugural day of the three-day festival, Bagbazar-O-Rosogolla Utsob marking the 150th year of its invention.
Bagbazar O Rosogolla Utsob, a three-day Rosogolla Utsav is being held at Bagbazar, Kolkata as a tribute to Nabin Chandra Das, inventor of Rosogolla. The statue of Nabin Chandra Das was also unveiled during the inaugural programme.
Tussle between Bengal and Odisha over Rosogolla
The battle over the ownership of Rosogolla started in 2015 when the government of West Bengal applied for the GI tag for the sweet. Odisha contested the West Bengal claim by narrating Rosogolla has a 600-year-old history in Odhisa.
Odhisa even cited mythological stories to claim that Lord Jagannath had offered kheer mohana to an angry Goddess Lakshmi in order to appease her and this kheer mohana later became Pahala Rosogolla.
The GI authorities ruled in the favour of West Bengal. The Odisha has now applied to get GI tag for a variant of Rosogolla, the Odishara Rosogolla.