Art & Culture Current Affairs - 2019
Latest Art & Culture Current Affairs 2019 for UPSC Exams, Bank Exams, Civil Services, SSC and other Competitive Exams. Latest developments in Art & Culture Current 2018-19 all important national updates.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Union textile Ministry has bestowed the Indian Handloom Brand tag on Chettinad cotton saris for its unique designs and identity.
This tag was bestowed under the India Handloom Brand Scheme after checking its various quality parameters stipulated by the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP).
The Ministry also has offered a logo to use the brand for marketing the product. It will also enable weavers of these saris to promote the material in the international market.
About Chettinad cotton saree
- Chettinad cotton saree is also known as “kandaangi”. It is the traditional sari of the Chettinad region in Sivaganga district of Tamil Nadu.
- It is characterised by its silk-like texture, contrasting border and body colours with intricate designs along the border.
- It has unique pattern with bold checks, stripes and contrasting hues that reflects dramatic and spontaneous use of colours.
- These sarees are already popular in few North Indian states of India and are also popular in other countries such as Singapore and Malaysia.
The 30th edition of Surajkund International Crafts Mela has begun at Faridabad in Haryana after it was formally inaugurated by Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar.
Telangana is the theme State of this edition of Mela and the two focus countries are China and Japan.
- The Mela is organized by the Surajkund Mela Authority and Haryana Tourism in collaboration with Union Ministries of Tourism, Textiles, Culture and External Affairs Ministry.
- The 15-day festival will be showcasing the richness and diversity of handicrafts, handlooms and cultural heritage of the country.
- About 300 artistes from Telangana will also perform different folk arts and shall showcase its unique culture and rich heritage.
- At least 23 countries are taking part in this edition of Mela and shall host performances by international folk artistes from Japan, Egypt, Congo, Maldives, Thailand, Vietnam, Russia, Kyrgyzstan and Turkmenistan.
Surajkund Crafts Mela: It is annual cultural festival hosted since 1987. The Mela showcases some of the most exquisite handlooms and handicrafts of India and culture.