Art & Culture Current Affairs - 2019
Latest Art & Culture Current Affairs 2019 for UPSC Exams, Bank Exams, Civil Services, SSC and other Competitive Exams. Latest developments in Art & Culture Current 2018-19 all important national updates.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
A painting of two Tahitian girls named as Nafea Faa Ipoipo (When Will You Marry) by the French artist Paul Gauguin has been sold for 300 million dollars.
It makes the painting as the most expensive work of art ever sold. This painting was painted in 1892 and was sold to a museum in Qatar.
This painting broke the previous highest price record for a painting by Paul Cezanne, sold in 2011 for a reported 158 million dollars to Qatar.
About Paul Gauguin
- Paul Gauguin was French Post-Impressionist artist of 19th century.
- He was recognized for his experimental use of color and synthetist style that were distinguishably different from Impressionism.
- His work had influenced the French avant-garde and many modern artists, such as Pablo Picasso and Henri Matisse.
- Gauguin’s art became popular after his death and many of his paintings were in the possession of Russian collector Sergei Shchukin.
Acclaimed Indian sculptor and artist Mrinalini Mukherjee has passed away in New Delhi. She was 65.
She was best known for her sculptures, crafted using knotted hemp ropes and cast bronzes.
- Ms. Mukherjee was daughter of seminal Santiniketan artists Benode Behari and Leela Mukherjee.
- She had studied painting at M S University in Baroda between 1965 and 1970 and later undertook a post diploma in mural design under K G Subramanyan.
- She was the first Indian artist whose work was displayed at the Sydney Biennale in 1986.
- In 1994, her art sculptures were displayed in the Museum of Modern Art, Oxford and later travelled all over United Kingdom.
- In 2013, her work was included in the The Body in Indian Art, an exhibition curated by Naman Ahuja at Bozar in Brussels.