Art & Culture Current Affairs - 2019
Latest Art & Culture Current Affairs 2019 for UPSC Exams, Bank Exams, Civil Services, SSC and other Competitive Exams. Latest developments in Art & Culture Current 2018-19 all important national updates.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Pope Francis has declared 17th century Indian priest and missionary Joseph Vaz as saint in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
Pope announced it while addressing a holy mass for 5 lakh people at the Gall Face Green in Colombo. Joseph Vaz has become first priest from Sri Lanka, canonised as saint.
About Joseph Vaz
- He was born on 21 April 1651 in Benaulim Goa (then Portuguese India) and was ordained as priest in 1676 in Goa.
- Later in 1687, he moved to Sri Lanka and worked for revival of Catholic Church in a period of Dutch repression of Catholics.
- Since then he had founded several churches and chapels, helping revive the faith of Catholics by Calvinists in Sri Lanka.
- He died in 1711 and was beatified by Pope John Paull II in Colombo on 21 January 1995.
Sun Temple at Konark, Odhisa has been the coveted with Adarsh Monument tag by the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI).
Along with Sun Temple, three other monuments of eastern India were given Adarsh Monument tag. They are
- Hazarduari Palace in Murshidabad district of West Bengal.
- Vaishali-Kolhua in Bihar.
- Rang Ghar in Sibsagar (Sivasagar) district of Assam.
At present, 25 out of 3,680 protected monuments in India have been selected under the Adarsh Smarak Yojana.
It includes monuments like Taj Mahal, Khajuraho, Qutab Minar and Red Fort which have highest number of tourists visiting them.
By awarding this monument Adarsh Monument tag, Central government gives them special attention in order to boost international tourism.
Under Adarsh Smarak Yojana, ASI provides amenities of international standards like washrooms, drinking water, signs, cafeteria, audiovisual centres, Wi-Fi connectivity, interpretation centres and encroachment-free areas around these monuments.
Konark SunTemple: It is a 13th century temple of Odisha, built by Narasimhadeva I of the Eastern Ganga Dynasty. It is also known as Black Pagoda.
It’s a World Heritage Site. It is considered as architectural marvel for which Odisha, best known worldwide.