Awards & Honours Current Affairs - 2019
Awards and Honours in Current Affairs 2019 with latest winners of various awards in India and world. Current Affairs list of awards and prize won in India and world for 2019.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
American novelist Tayari Jones won this year’s Women’s Prize for Fiction for her fourth novel “An American Marriage“. It is one of the biggest international celebrations of women’s creativity.
- Her book competed against five other shortlisted authors, including two former Booker prize winners namely Anna Burns (novel “Milkman” won booker prize for 2018) and Pat Barker’s new novel “The Silence of the Girls“.
- Prize: She won £30,000 and ‘Bessie’, which is a limited edition bronze figurine.
- Awards Ceremony: The Women’s Prize for Fiction event was hosted at Bedford Square Gardens, London (UK) by novelist and Women’s Prize founder-director, Kate Mosse.
- Other winner: Helen Rogers was named as winner of Women’s Prize/Grazia First Chapter Competition for unpublished writers.
- About Book: It is a powerful story about love and family, injustice and strength. It portraits a young African American’s wrongful conviction and how it affects his marriage.
About Women’s Prize for Fiction
- It is United Kingdom’s only annual book award for fiction celebrating excellence, originality and accessibility in women’s writing from all around the world.
- The prize was founded in 1996. The year 2019 marks 24th year of its establishment.
- It seeks to celebrate and promote international fiction by women worldwide to widest range of readers possible.
Tags: An American Marriage • Anna Burns • Bessie • Book Prize • Grazia First Chapter Competition • Helen Rogers • Kate Mosse • Milkman • Pat Barker • Tayari Jones • The Silence of the Girls • United Kingdom • Women's Prize for Fiction
Veteran Malayalam actress Sheela was honoured with prestigious J C Daniel Award for her contributions to Malayalam Cinema field. She is only the second woman to win this award after Aranmula Ponnamma (in 2005).
About J C Daniel Award
- It is Kerala government’s highest honour for outstanding contribution to Malayalam cinema.
- It is named after J C Daniel, who is credit for making first silent movie in Mollywood (Malayalam Film Industry).
- Prize: The award comprises of a citation, plaque and a cash prize of ₹5 Lakh. The annual award will be given away on 27 July 2019 at a function in Kerela.
- This year’s jury was chaired by renowned filmmaker K.S. Sethumadhavan.
- She is popularly called as Sheelamma by her admirers.
- Veteran actress debuted during early 1960s with Tamil movie Paasam. Later in 1962 she began her career in Malayalam with movie Bhagyajathakam directed by P. Bhaskaran.
- Since then she has been Malayalam cinema’s sweetheart for a couple of decades.
- She scripted history as being first recipient of ‘best actress’ award instituted by the Kerala government fir her 1969 movie “Kallichellamma“.
- She has won State and National Awards for the best character artist for for the film Akale in 2004.
- She holds Guinness book of records to her name for acting as Prem Nazir’s heroine in 130 films.