Awards & Honours Current Affairs - 2019
Awards and Honours in Current Affairs 2019 with latest winners of various awards in India and world. Current Affairs list of awards and prize won in India and world for 2019.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Jimmy Carter, Ex-President of United States of America (USA) won the inaugural George H. W. Bush Award for Statesmanship in recognition of his contributions to relations between U.S. and China.
About George H. W. Bush Award
- It is conferred by George H. W. Bush Foundation for U.S. China Relations.
- Jimmy Carter will receive inaugural George H. W. Bush Award for Statesmanship in U.S.-China Relations at a private award ceremony scheduled for 12 June 2019 at Carter Center in Atlanta, US.
- Objective: The award is conferred to people who have made profound contributions towards development of constructive and mutually beneficial relations between U.S and People’s Republic of China.
About Jimmy Carter
- He was former governor of Georgia (1971-1975) and later served as 39th president of United States from 1977-1981.
- During his tenure, Joint Communiqué on Establishment of Diplomatic Relations was signed on 1 January 1979 which stated official beginning of Diplomatic relation between US and China and that two countries would even open Embassies on 1 March 1979. He also announced withdrawal of all U.S. military personnel from Taiwan and end to Sino-American Mutual Defense Treaty signed with China.
Tags: 39th president of US • George H. W. Bush Award • George H. W. Bush Award for Statesmanship • George H. W. Bush Foundation for U.S. China Relations • Jimmy Carter • Joint Communiqué on Establishment of Diplomatic Relations • President of United States of America • Sino-American Mutual Defense Treaty • US-China
The 16-year old climate activist, Greta Thunberg of Sweden won Amnesty International’s ‘Ambassador of Conscience’ Award 2019 for mobilising world public opinion global warming.
About Greta Thunberg
- She is a Swedish teenage climate activist and a fierce campaigner who began protesting outside Swedish parliament in August 2018. She skipped school every Friday demanding Swedish government take more serious action to tackle climate crisis. Her demand was soon joined by other students. She announced that she would take a year off school to pursue her campaigning.
- She has now become a figurehead for young climate activists internationally. Her ‘Fridays for Future’ movement has spread globally with students around the world strike from school to participate in climate protests. The schools strikes has become mass movement with more than 1 million young people participating from all over world and demonstrations in more than 100 countries.
- She has been invited by International organisations to climate change events in an effort to put a human face on fight to curb carbon emissions.
About Amnesty’s Ambassador of Conscience Award
- It was established in 2002.
- Objective: It celebrates individuals and groups who further human rights cause with their acts of conscience, confronting injustice and using their talents to inspire others. Past awardees include Nelson Mandela, Harry Belafonte, Malala Yousafzai, Colin Kaepernick, Ai Weiwei and Joan Baez.
- 2019 Award: Thunberg was awarded the prestigious Amnesty International prize in recognition of her efforts for mobilising world public opinion on imminent danger posed by global warming. The Amnesty award justifies that every young person taking part in ‘Fridays for Future’ embodies what it means to act on your conscience. The initiative remind us that we are more powerful than we think and we all have a role to play in protecting human rights against climate catastrophe.
Tags: Amnesty International’s ‘Ambassador of Conscience’ Award 2019 • Climate Change Activist • Fridays for Future movement • Global Warming • Greta Thunberg • Malala Yousafzai • Nelson Mandela • Sweden • Sweden Parliament