Constitution & Law Current Affairs - 2020
Summary of latest bill and acts passed or pending in 2019 in Parliament of India with their salient features and issues for Current Affairs 2019 preparation for various examinations such as UPSC, SSC, State Civil Services, CLAT, Judicial Services etc.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Supreme Court (SC) has directed search engines like Google India, Yahoo and Micrsoft’s Bing to block advertisements on sex determination and strictly comply with the laws.
This ruling was given by SC bench comprising of Justices Dipak Misra and Prafulla C. Pant on public interest litigation (PIL) filed by Dr. Sabu Mathew George in 2008.
PIL had highlighted that the use of Internet and popular search engines to promote sex determination technologies violates laws.
SC directions to search engines
- Withdraw advertisements on sex determination as it violates Section 22 of the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques (Prohibition of Sex Selection) Act,1994.
- Search engines must upload this order on their policy page and also the page containing terms and conditions of service to serve as a warning for persons intending to put up such advertisements.
- Though sex determination is illegal India, it is still practiced which has a severe effects on male-female ratio.
- As per UN data, India’s child sex ratio has dropped from 964 in 1971 to a low of 918 in 2011.
- While between 2001 and 2011, child sex ratio has declined in more than two-thirds of the districts in the country and this problem is worse in urban areas.
Tags: Current Affairs 2016 • Google India • Micrsoft’s Bing • Supreme Court (SC) • Yahoo
Union Government has merged Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) card-holders with Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) card-holders.
Union Home Ministry in this regard has issued notification mentioning that all PIO card-holders henceforth are deemed to be OCI card-holders with effect from 9th January 2015.
Thus, withdrawing PIO cards with immediate an effect. Now only OCI cards facility with enhanced benefits will exist to provide maximum possible benefits to Indian Diaspora.
This notification was announced on the concluding day of 13th Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas.
Earlier on January 6, 2015 Government had promulgated Ordinance to amend the Citizenship Act, 1955.
This amendment changed the eligibility and provided additional benefits of PIO Card holders that have been incorporated in OCI Card and certain other relaxation to OCI Card holders.
Governments this decision comes in lines with Prime Minister Narendra Modi previously made announcement in USA and Australia visits.
During this visit he had announced that PIO and OCI cards will be merged and the Indian Diaspora will be given maximum possible benefits.