Constitution & Law Current Affairs - 2019
Summary of latest bill and acts passed or pending in 2019 in Parliament of India with their salient features and issues for Current Affairs 2019 preparation for various examinations such as UPSC, SSC, State Civil Services, CLAT, Judicial Services etc.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Karnataka High Court, in its verdict on a PIL, pronounced that Stray dogs which are incurably ill or mortally wounded as diagnosed by qualified veterinarians are to be exterminated as per ABC rules.
What are ABC rules?
- The Animal Birth Control (Dogs) Rules, 2001, were enacted by Parliament under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960; and these envisage that in order to control street dog population, and to control the threat of rabies, animal birth control, and immunization under the supervision and guidance of the Animal Welfare Board of India, are the only methods that can be resorted to.
- As per these rules, all healthy stray dogs within the jurisdiction of BBMP have to be sterilized or vaccinated by animal welfare organization and the monitoring committee.
- But As per Rule 10 ABC rules, stray dogs which are incurably ill or mortally wounded as diagnosed by qualified veterinarians can be exterminated.
Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1960: this law was enacted to prevent the infliction of unnecessary pain or suffering on animals and to amend the laws relating to the prevention of cruelty to animals. The Animal Board of India came into existence after the enactment of this act, for the promotion of animal welfare.
Month: Categories: Constitution & Law
The apex court directed Karnataka to release 10,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu and asked the Centre to indicate the time frame within which it would notify the final decision of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal given on February 5, 2007.
What was the award given in the final decision of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal?
Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal in its final award ruled:
- Tamil Nadu’s share to be released by Karnataka at the Billigundulu gauging station is 192 tmcft.
- From this 192 tmcft, Tamil Nadu will release 7 tmcft to Puducherry.
Why the award has not yet been implemented?
- To implement the award it is required to be notified in Gazette of India which has not yet been done.
- Once this is done, it will come into effect within 90 days of its notification by the Centre.