Business, Economy & Banking Current Affairs - 2019
Business, Economy and Banking in Current Affairs 2019 with latest news and current affairs in Agriculture, Industry, Banking, Capital Markets, Import and Export and Government schemes in commercial sector.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Delhi Metro has become first ever project in India to receive power generated from a waste-to-energy plant. The move is in continuation of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) efforts to establish an environment-friendly network
Steps Taken: Since beginning of June 2019, DMRC has started receiving 2 MW power from a 12 MW capacity waste-to-energy plant set up in Ghazipur (Uttar Pradesh). The power being received is being utilised at Vinod Nagar Receiving Sub-station (RSS) for meeting operational requirements of Pink Line of Delhi Metro.
- It is a state of the art facility, set up by East Delhi Waste Processing Company Limited (EDWPCL). It is based on a Public Private Partnership (PPP) model which involves government of Delhi, East Delhi Municipal Corporation (EDMC) and EDWPCL.
- It can process over 1,500 tonnes per day (TPD) of waste and can generate 12 MW of green power. This plant is India’s first Euro norms compliant waste-to-energy facility.
- DMRC is expected to use about 17.5 million units per annum from this plant but energy offtake will depend upon actual generation of plant.
- The plant is estimated to mitigate more than 8 million tons of Greenhouse Gases (GHG) over the life of project thus combating global warming.
DMRC and Environment Initiatives
- DMRC is a Centre-state Public Sector company that operates Delhi Metro, a rapid transit system serving Delhi, its satellite cities and National Capital Region (NCR) of India. Since its inception (May 1995), DMRC has been working continuously towards conservation of environment. Delhi Metro which began its operation in 24 December 2002 is first ever rail based organisation in world to claim carbon credits.
- Recycling Facility: DMRC has commissioned a facility for recycling of Construction and Demolition (C&D) waste with a capacity of 150 tons per day at Rohini. It is based on Public Private Partnership (PPP) model with IL&FS Environmental Infrastructure & Services Ltd (IEISL).
- Solar Power: DMRC produces 28 MW of solar power from various rooftop solar power plants, set up in its stations, depots as well as residential premises. It is also receiving solar power from off-site solar power plant at Rewa in Madhya Pradesh.
- For construction work undertaken by DMRC, it plants 10 trees for each tree that is cut. About 4 lakh vehicles are being removed from streets because of mass transit operator, Delhi Metro.
Tags: Delhi Metro • Delhi Metro Rail Corporation • DMRC • DMRC and Environment Initiatives • Greenhouse Gases • IL&FS Environmental Infrastructure & Services Ltd • Pink Line of Delhi Metro • Public Private Partnership Model • Rewa Solar Facility • Solar Power Plants • Waste-to-energy Plant
The Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare under Union Ministry of Agriculture and farmers Welfare recently released the 3rd Advance Estimates of production of major crops for 2018-19.
Key Highlights of 3rd Advance Estimates
- Based On: The assessment of major production of different crops is based on feedback received by department from States and is validated with information available from other sources.
- For the agricultural year 2018-19, food grains production has been estimated at over 283 million tonnes. This estimation is higher by more than 17 million tonnes than previous five years average production of food grain in country.
- As per third advance estimates, Agriculture Ministry notified estimations for following crops:-
- Rice: total production of rice in country is estimated to be an all-time-high of over 115 million tonnes during 2018-19 crop year, breaking previous record of over 112 million tonnes achieved in 2017-18.
- Wheat: total production of wheat is also estimated at record over 101 million tonnes, which is higher by 1.33 million tonnes as compared to 2017-18 year.
- Pulses: total pulses production is estimated at over 23 million tonnes.
- Oilseeds: production is estimated at 31.42 million tonnes in 2018-19, which is higher by 1.77 million tonnes than past 5 year average production.
- Sugarcane: total production of Sugarcane during 2018-19 is estimated at record 400.37 million tonnes which is an increase by 20.46 million tonnes over 2017-18.
Tags: 3rd Advance Estimates of production of major crops for 2018-19 • Department of Agriculture Cooperation and Farmers Welfare • Oilseeds Production • Pulses production • Rice • Rice production • Sugarcane Production • Union Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare • Wheat • Wheat production