Places in News Current Affairs - 2019
Places in news and current affairs for preparation of the Geography papers and map locations for UPSC Civil Services and State related examinations of 2019.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Union Minister for Earth Sciences, Dr Harsh Vardhan inaugurated Atal Bhavan, the new campus of Centre for Marine Living Resources and Ecology (CMLRE), at Puthuvype, Cochin, in Kerala.
Centre for Marine Living Resources & Ecology
The Centre for Marine Living Resources & Ecology (CMLRE) under the Ministry of Earth Science is organizing, coordinating and promoting ocean development activities in the country which includes mapping of the living resources, preparing inventory of commercially exploitable living marine resources, their optimum utilization through ecosystem management and R&D in basic sciences on Marine Living Resources and Ecology.
Mandate of CMLRE
- To develop management strategies for marine living resources through Ecosystem monitoring and modelling efforts.
- Evolving, coordinating and implementing time targeted national /regional R&D programmes in the field of marine living resources and ecology through effective utilisation of Fishery and Oceanographic Research Vessel Sagar Sampada.
- Strengthening of research on marine living resources and Ecology including the establishment of a data centre for storage and dissemination of data/ information to end users.
- Coordinating the national programmes relating to Southern Ocean Living Resources (Antarctic marine living resources).
CMLRE was established at Kochi in 1998 by upgrading the erstwhile Sagar Sampada Cell with exclusive facilities for implementing the Marine Living Resources Programme.
Marine Living Resources Programme envisages survey, assessment and exploitation of the marine living resources and studies on the response of marine resources to changes in the physical environment. The studies are undertaken with an objective of developing an ecosystem model for the management of the living resources in the Indian EEZ. The Fishery Oceanographic Vessel Sagar Sampada is fully utilized for these studies.
Tags: Atal Bhavan • Centre for Marine Living Resources and Ecology • CMLRE • EEZ • Exclusive Economic Zone • Kerala • Marine Living Resources • Marine Living Resources Programme • Sagar Sampada • Sagar Sampada Cell • Union Minister for Earth Sciences
Union Minister for Chemicals and Fertilizers D V Sadananda Gowda inaugurated the centre of the Central Institute of Plastic Engineering and Technology (CIPET) in Tripura. The CIPET in Tripura would produce 1500 skilled workers per annum.
Central Institute of Plastic Engineering and Technology
The Central Institute of Plastics Engineering & Technology (CIPET) was established in 1968 with the assistance of United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) at Chennai. The institute was set up to develop manpower in different disciplines of Plastics Engineering & Technology as no such institute existed in the country.
Functions of CIPET
- CIPET renders Technology Support Service in the areas of design, tooling, plastics processing and testing and quality assurance in India and abroad.
- CIPET is at the forefront of strengthening the technological capabilities and has been constantly building capacities and leveraging its expertise, calibre and skill sets to meet the emerging and evolving needs of the industries.
- CIPET works in close liaison with industries to implement its initiatives in the areas of Polymer and allied industries in accordance with the environmental policies of the country.
CIPET is working under the Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers and is focused on Skill Development, Technology Support Services, Academic and Research (STAR).
CIPET is headquartered at Chennai and has centres at Ahmedabad, Amritsar, Aurangabad, Agartala, Baddi, Balasore, Bengaluru, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chandrapur, Chennai, Dehradun, Gurgaon, Guwahati, Gwalior, Hyderabad, Hajipur, Haldia, Imphal, Jaipur, Kochi, Lucknow, Madurai, Murthal, Mysore, Raipur, Ranchi, Valsad and Vijayawada.
Tags: Central Institute of Plastic Engineering and Technology • CIPET • Plastics Engineering & Technology • Tripura • UNDP • Union Minister for Chemicals and Fertilizers • United Nations Development Programme