Places in News
Rapid Metro will connect Delhi Metro travelers to 6 key places within Gurgaon(Haryana), where more than a lakh people work or visit every day.
About Rapid Metro (Gurgaon)
- PPP (Private Public Partnership) project between IL&FS Rail Ltd and HUDA
- Cost of project: Rs 1,100 crore
- Completion: First phase will get operational on November 14, 2013 and will cover a distance of 5.1 km. 2 more phases are planned.
- *Since, Rapid Metro timings will be in sync with Delhi Metro, so a passenger won’t have to wait for the local loop train.*
- Connecting station between Rapid Metro and Delhi Metro: Sikanderpur.
- *Delhi Metro card/token will work for the Rapid Metro as well*
- Flat fare: Rs 12
- At the end of each day, a clearinghouse system will automatically separate the revenues of Rapid Metro and DMRC.
- Starting Point: Sikanderpur
- Stations: 6 (Sikanderpur, DLF phase-II, Belvedere Towers, Gateway Tower, Moulsari Avenue, DLF Phase III
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has given up to the opposition’s pressure against his participation in the upcoming Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) to be held in Sri Lanka. He has decided not to attend the meeting. In the absence of PM, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid will lead the Indian delegation at the meet.
Why there is opposition to PM participation in Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM)?
There is opposition by parties in Tamil Nadu as well as a section in Congress who want PM to skip the CHOGM as a show of protest against the Sri Lankan government alleging it of inflicting atrocities on Tamils by the Sri Lankan military forces during the war against LTTE. They are also cynical about Sri Lankan government plans to devolve powers to the ethnic Tamils.