Places in News
In a recent survey conducted by Delhi-based Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) it was found that Ghaziabad and Allahabad are the two most air polluted cities in Uttar Pradesh. As per the survey:
- Pollutants of the size of 10 micron was found in Ghaziabad, Allahabad, Kanpur and Bareilly, which was four times the acceptable size of particulates in urban areas.
- Air pollution levels were thrice as high as the prescribed limits in Lucknow, Firozabad, Agra, Mathura, Khurja, Saharanpur, Moradabad and Gajraula.
- Unnao has come out as the cleanest air quality despite a heavy presence of tanneries in the town.
- Nitrogen-di-oxide pollutant is found to be increasing dangerously in Meerut, Gorakhpur, Ghaziabad and Kanpur. It is the highest in Meerut and lowest in Rae Bareilly.
- Khurja and Ghaziabad have dangerous levels of sulphur-di-oxide mixed in the air.
- The presence of multi-pollutants was found in cities like Mathura, Khurja and Ghaziabad.
- The leading cause of pollution was found to be the manifold increase in the number of vehicles.
- The growing use of diesel was a major contributor to the growing air pollution levels. The emissions were leading to serious ailments and diseases like cancer.
Tags: Current Affairs 2013 • Uttar Pradesh [UPPSC]
The Union Urban Development Ministry has announced that the National Capital Region has been expanded by including Bhiwani and Mahendragarh districts of Haryana and Bharatpur district of Rajasthan in the NCR. There is also a proposal to include Jind and Karnal of Haryana in the NCR.
How would the inclusion in NCR benefit?
The included regions can expect better infrastructure, improved connectivity with Delhi and other regions, and more development. The NCR Planning Board provides loans on lower rates of interest for the development of the constituents of the region. Property prices are also expected to rise with their inclusion in the NCR.
Note: The NCR region now extends to a total of 11 districts in Haryana, 6 in Uttar Pradesh and 2 in Rajasthan.