Places in News Current Affairs - 2019
Places in news and current affairs for preparation of the Geography papers and map locations for UPSC Civil Services and State related examinations of 2019.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The 22nd AIIMS would come up in Haryana. The announcement was made regarding this at the Interim Budget 2019. The AIIMS would be established at Manethi village in Haryana’s Rewari district.
All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)
All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) is the autonomous institutions set up under the act of parliament. The All India Institute Of Medical Sciences Act, 1956 provides for the establishment of AIIMS as Institute of National Importance.
Objectives of AIIMS
- To develop a pattern of teaching in undergraduate and postgraduate medical education in all its branches so as to demonstrate a high standard of medical education to all medical colleges and other allied institutions in India.
- To bring together in one place educational facilities of the highest order for the training of the personnel in all important branches of the health activity.
- To attain self-sufficiency in postgraduate medical education.
Functions of AIIMS
- Undergraduate and postgraduate teaching in medical and related physical biological sciences.
- Nursing and Dental education.
- Innovations in education.
- Producing medical teachers for the country.
- Research in medical and related sciences.
- Health care : preventive, promotive and curative; primary, secondary & tertiary.
- Community based teaching and research
AIIMS Institutions aims to develop patterns of teaching in Undergraduate and Post-graduate Medical Education in all its branches so as to demonstrate a high standard of Medical Education in India and to bring together in one place educational facilities of the highest order for the training of personnel in all important branches of health activity; and to attain self-sufficiency in Post-graduate Medical Education.
The Union Government has decided to rename Ross, Neil and Havelock islands of Andaman. The Ross, Neil and Havelock Islands are to be named as Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Island, Shaheed Dweep, and Swaraj Dweep, respectively.
The announcement about renaming is expected to be made by PM Narendra Modi on 30 December during his visit to the Islands. 30th December marks the 75th anniversary of the Netaji’s visit to the Andaman Islands.
Netaji’s connect with the Andaman Islands
Netaji, accompanied by Sarvashri Anand Mohan Sahay, Captain Rawat-ADC and Colonel DS Raju, the personal physician of Netaji, landed at the Port Blair aerodrome in Andaman on 29th December 1943. Netaji was accorded a warm welcome. Netaji had appointed Indian National Army General AD Loganathan as the governor of the islands.
After the Japanese captured the Andaman Island during the time of the Second World War, Netaji had hoisted the flag at Port Blair on December 30, 1943. This was because he believed that Port Blair was the first territory to be freed from British rule. Netaji had even suggested way back that the Andaman and Nicobar Islands be renamed as Shahid and Swaraj Dweep.