Places in News Current Affairs - 2019
Places in news and current affairs for preparation of the Geography papers and map locations for UPSC Civil Services and State related examinations of 2019.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Tenth World Hindi Conference (विश्व हिंदी सम्मेलन) has begun in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh with the theme of Hindi Jagat-Vistar and Sambhavnaye.
The three-day conference was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. It has been organised in Madhya Pradesh for the first time and being held in India after 32 years.
It is joint event of Union Ministry of External Affairs in partnership with the state Government of Madhya Pradesh.
This edition of conference will host scholars from 39 countries who are going to discuss issues like Hindi in administration, foreign policy and law during the event. An exhibition showcasing assimilation of Hindi with modern techniques also has been set up at the conference venue.
World Hindi Conference
- The First World Hindi Conference was organized in Nagpur by then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. It was held from 10 to 12 January 1975. Since then every year 10th January is being observed as the World Hindi Day.
- In the first conference, then Prime Minister of Mauritius Seewoosagur Ramgoolam was Chief Guest and it was attended by 122 delegates from 30 countries.
- Ninth edition of World Hindi Conference was held in Johannesburg, South Africa in 2012.
United States has changed the name of tallest mountain in North America Mount McKinley to its original native name Denali.
It was announced by US President Barack Obama ahead of his three-day visit to Alaska to highlight the issue of climate change. It was renamed following the lead of the state of Alaska, US Department of the Interior (USDoI) in conjunction with the US Board on Geographic Names (USBGN).
- The summit elevation of Mount Denali is 6,190 m above sea level. It is located in the Alaska Range and Denali National Park in the US state of Alaska.
- Till 1896, it was named as Denali (meaning as High One or Great One) among the natives of Alaska, but was renamed as Mount McKinley in the honour of William McKinley after he was nominated to become the US President.