Daily Current Affairs
Welcome to Daily Current Affairs Digest 2017 Section of GKToday. This section has latest current affairs for preparation of IAS, UPSC, Banking, IBPS, Railways and other exams.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Minister of Power and New & Renewable energy R.K Singh has said that in the next three years electricity metering will go smart and prepaid. He has also asked the manufacturers to scale up manufacturing of smart prepaid meters and to work towards bringing down their prices.
Why the Pitch for Smart meters?
The Power Ministry is pushing for smart prepaid meters for the following reasons:
- Smart and pre-paid metering will aid in making state utilities more efficient and bringing down their losses in the past.
- It will incentivise energy conservation.
- Maintaining the better financial health of DISCOMs.
- Enhancing the ease of bill payments.
- Reducing AT&C losses.
The minister has assured the smart meter manufacturers of steady demand as the government is planning to make smart metering mandatory after a particular date. On a pilot basis, the prepaid meters are being deployed in Uttar Pradesh as part of the Saubhagya scheme which aims to electrify over four crore households till December this year.
Following are the key current affairs headlines in newspapers for June 22, 2018
- 4th International Yoga day celebrated on June 21 with “Yoga for Peace” as its theme
- Rajasthan: 1.6 lakh people in Kota set Guinness World Record for ‘largest number of people performing yoga at one place at the same time’
- PM Modi performs yoga at Dehradun, President Kovind marks Yoga day in Paramaribo, Suriname
- Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar announces to set up a ‘Yog Aayog’ in the state
- HRD Ministry approves setting up an inter-university yoga centre at Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samsthana in Bengaluru
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj meets President of European Commission Jean-Claude Juncker in Brussels
ECONOMY & CORPORATE
- BSE Sensex closes at 35,432.39 points (–114.94), NSE Nifty at 10,741.10 (–30.95)
- India increases duties on a slew of farm products, steel and iron imported from the US in retaliatory action against President Donald Trump’s tariff hikes on steel and aluminium
- TRAI announces name, logo design contest for public Wi-Fi networks
- Spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravishankar’s consumer goods venture Sri Sri Tattva launches apparel brand – BYOGI
- World Music Day celebrated on June 21
- US President Donald Trump has signed an executive order to keep together immigrant families who have been detained at the border with Mexico
- Veteran Pakistani diplomat and Jamsheed Marker dies in Karachi at 95, listed in the Guinness Book of World Records under the title of “World’s longest-serving ambassador” and also being the “ambassador to more countries than any other person”
- Mushtaq Ahmed Yousufi, celebrated Urdu satirist and humourist, dies in Karachi at 94
- Koko, the gorilla who mastered sign language, dies at 46 in California
- NASA’s Curiosity rover captures photos of dust storm on Mars
- Paul Polman, CEO of Unilever, to succeed Sunil Bharti Mittal as Chairman of International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- FIFA World Cup in Russia: Australia-Denmark draw 1-1 in a Group C match in Samara, Spain beat Iran1-0 in Group B match in Sochi
- Badminton player Kidambi Srikanth named Sports Illustrated ‘India’s Sportsperson of the Year’