Defence Current Affairs - 2019
Defence Current Affairs of 2018-19 related to India’s Defence, Indian Armed Forces, Defence Production, Defence Acquisition and related matters for SSC, States Civils, UPSC and Other Competitive Examinations.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Indian Navy has launched its third guided missile destroyer, INS Imphal at Mazgaon Docks as part of its Project 15B.
- INS Imphal has been designed indigenously by the Indian Navy’s Directorate of Naval Design, New Delhi.
- INS Imphal spans 163 metres in length, 17.4 metres at beam, and launch weight of 3037 tonnes can displace 7300 tonnes.
- INS Imphal is propelled by our gas turbines to achieve speeds in excess of 30 knots.
- INS Imphal destroyers incorporate new design concepts for improved survivability, sea keeping, stealth and ship manoeuvrability.
- Enhanced stealth features have been achieved through shaping of hull and use of radar transparent deck fitting, which make these ships difficult to detect. INS Imphal ships will be equipped to carry and operate two multiple role helicopters.
Project 15Bravo (Project 15B) is aimed at adding state-of-the-art warships to the naval fleet. INS Vishakhapatnam was the first Project 15B ship and was launched in April 2015, while the second ship, INS Mormugao, was launched in September 2016.
Ships built under project 15B are packed with an array of state-of-the-art weapons and sensors, including multi-functional surveillance radars and vertically launched missile system for long-distance engagement of shore, sea-based and air targets.
India and France will conduct their largest ever naval exercise ‘Varuna’ off Goa coast early May.
- India will deploy its aircraft carrier, INS Vikramaditya with its MiG-29K fighters and French side would be represented by its aircraft carrier FNS Charles de Gaulle with its Rafale-M naval jets.
- The exercise will also see participation of FNS Forbin, the FNS Provence and the FNS Latouche Treville, a nuclear attack submarines, the FNS Amethyste, and the tanker FNS Marne from France and diesel-electric submarine INS Shankul, guided-missile destroyer INS Chennai, stealth frigate INS Tarkash and tanker INS Deepak, along with P-8I long-range maritime patrol aircraft and Dornier-228 planes from India.
- Varuna is a top-level naval exercise, with intensive dual carrier task group operations and anti-submarine warfare manoeuvres.
India-France Defence Cooperation
India and France are working closely to implement their action-oriented joint strategic vision for cooperation in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR), which was finalised in March 2018.
The Military Logistics Agreement with France which provides Indian Navy access to French bases located in the India ocean region including the Reunion Islands near Madagascar and Djibouti on the Horn of Africa and French navy access to Indian ports in the region is now operationalised with French anti-aircraft destroyer FNS Cassard docking at the Mumbai naval port.
Tags: Djibouti • FNS Amethyste • FNS Cassard • FNS Charles de Gaulle • FNS Forbin • FNS Latouche Treville • FNS Marne • FNS Provence • France • Goa • Horn of Africa • India-France • Indian Ocean Region • INS Chennai • INS Deepak • INS Shankul • INS Tarkash • INS Vikramaditya • Madagascar • MiG-29K • Rafale-M naval jets • Reunion Islands • Varuna • Varuna Naval Exercise • Varuna Naval Exercise 2019