Defence Current Affairs - 2020
Defence Current Affairs of 2018-19 related to India’s Defence, Indian Armed Forces, Defence Production, Defence Acquisition and related matters for SSC, States Civils, UPSC and Other Competitive Examinations.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India and Russia signed 14 Memorandum of Understandings at the India-Russia Industrial Conference held at DefExpo 2020, Lucknow. The Agreements were signed under Make in India initiative.
The countries signed agreements related to ASW rocket launchers, T-72, radar systems, 3D modeling, T-90.
The Defence ties of India and Russia has been strong. The countries have also established defence ties through multilateral orgnizations.
India-Russia at multilateral organizations
- The National Security Advisor attended the BRICS Foreign Ministers meet in June 2019. He met President Putin, the Russian President on the sidelines of the meet to strengthen defence ties between the countries
- At the SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organization), India participated at the fifth edition of the biennial joint military counter terrorist command for the first time in August 2018.
- Russia has been one of the long-standing supporters of India’s membership at the Nuclear Suppliers Group.
- Russia welcomes One Belt One Road initiative of China.
- Russia also welcomes the International North-South Transport Corridor that was held in March 2019. It is a 7,2000 km long international multi-node rail, road and ship route between Europe and Central Asia. It includes India, Russia, Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Armenia and Europe.
Tags: BRI • BRICS • DefExpo India- 2020 • India-Russia • International North-South Transport Corridor
On February 7, 2020, DRDO (Defence Research Development Organization) signed an agreement with Rosobornexport of Russia. According to the agreement the defence organization will develop Advanced Pyrotechnic Ignition Systems for missile propulsion
The agreement was signed with the HEMRL (High Energy Materials Research Laboratory) of DRDO. HEMRL is working towards the development of spectrum of high energy materials that are required for rockets, missiles and guns.
The Rosoboronexports is the intermediary agency for imports and exports of defence goods and technologies of Russia. It was founded in 2000. It implements the Defence Policies of the Russian Government.
India is the major client of the organization. The other leading clients of the organization include Syria, China, Algeria, Vietnam, Iraq and Venezuela. Iraq was the last country that was added to the list.
Rosoboronexports has been added to the Specially Designated Nationals List of US. The list administers and enforces trade sanctions of the US.
Tags: Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) • DefExpo India- 2020 • India's missile • India-Russia • Missiles