Defence & Security Current Affairs - 2019
Defence Current Affairs of 2018-19 related to India’s Defence, Indian Armed Forces, Defence Production, Defence Acquisition and related matters for SSC, States Civils, UPSC and Other Competitive Examinations.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Lieutenant General Hanut Singh (retd) on 12 April 2015 passed away in Dehradun, Uttarakhand. He was 82.
He was a 1971 Indo-Pak war hero and one of the most famous officers of the Indian Army.
About Lt Gen Hanut Singh
- In 1952, Hanut Singh was commissioned in 17 HORSE (also known as the Poona Horse) an armoured regiment of Indian Army.
- In 1971, as a Lieutenant Colonel he had commanded 17 HORSE regiment in the famous Battle of Basantar in Indo-Pak war.
- During this battle, squadron of his regiment had dashed across the heavily mined enemy areas and successfully had repulsed repeated counter attacks by Pakistan forces.
- During this war his regiment had destroyed a large number Pakistan tanks and had earned him the name ‘Hero of Battle of Basantar’.
- After his retirement in 1991, he had founded Shivbala Yogi Ashram Parisar in Dehradun.
- He was born on 6 July 1933 in Barmer district of Rajasthan and was a cousin of former Union Minister Jaswant Singh.
- Awards- He is recipient of the Maha Vir Chakra, India’s second highest gallantry award for his personal bravery and outstanding leadership.
Retired Air Chief Marshal Hrushikesh Moolgaonkar passed away on 9 April 2015 in Pune, Maharashtra. He was 95.
About Hrushikesh Moolgaonkar
- Hrushikesh Moolgaonkar had joined Indian Air Force (then Royal Indian Air Force) in November 1940 as the rank of an acting Pilot Officer.
- He was appointed Chief of Air Staff in February 1976. He had succeeded then Air Chief Marshal Om Prakash Mehra.
- During this tenure, one of his major achievements was bring flight safety in the Indian Air Force (IAF). Moolgaonkar had personally implemented the new safety measures and brought down the accident rates at that time.
- He had led the fly-past of IAF on Independence Day in August 15, 1947 and also on the Republic Day in January 26, 1951 when he was a Squadron Leader.
- He had served in 38 years in the IAF and had retired in August 1978.
- He was born on 14 August 1920 in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Awards- He was recipient of the prestigious Param Vishisht Seva medal and Mahaveer Chakra.