Defence & Security Current Affairs - 2019
Defence Current Affairs of 2018-19 related to India’s Defence, Indian Armed Forces, Defence Production, Defence Acquisition and related matters for SSC, States Civils, UPSC and Other Competitive Examinations.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) has given its approval to a multi-billion dollar deal to purchase Military helicopters from United States aviation giant Boeing.
Under this deal, India will purchase 22 Apache Attack helicopters and 15 Chinook heavy-lift choppers from Boeing.
- Apache Attack helicopters: These attack helicopters are equipped with Longbow gunships and are armed with deadly Hellfire and Stinger missiles.
- They are potent as fighter helicopters and are capable of destroying enemy helicopter and tank forces.
- There addition in Indian Air Force (IAF) will help to replace the ageing fleet of 15 Russian Mi-35 attack helicopters which already have undergone life extension upgrades.
- Chinook heavy-lift choppers: It will help IAF to enhance its heavy-lift chopper capabilities and replace existing fleet of Russia made four gigantic Mi-26s. These choppers will play important role in warfront as well humanitarian operations for proving logistics support.
This defence deal of India with US will further push and bolster US presence in the growing defence market of the country. It will further help to advance the nascent efforts by the Indian private defence sector to create an aerospace industrial base in the country.
Indian Coast Guard has commissioned two new ships named Fast Patrol Vessel ICGS Apoorva and Interceptor Boat C-421.
The ships were commissioned by Vice Admiral SPS Cheema, Flag Officer Commanding in Chief of Western Naval Command (Mumbai) off the naval dockyard in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Fast Patrol Vessel ICGS Apoorva: It is the 14th fast patrol vessel in a series of 20. It is 50-metre long and can achieve a top speed of 33 knots and displaces 317 tonnes.
- The ship Apoorva synonyms with Unparalleled in English will be based at Goa.
- It is equipped with state-of-the-art advanced communication, navigational and weapons.
- It will platform and undertake various naval operations such as close-coast surveillance, search and rescue, interdiction, medical evacuation and other missions.
- The ship has been indigenously designed and built by Cochin Shipyard Ltd at Surat, Gujarat.
- Interceptor Boat C-421: It is 27th in the series of interceptor boats of Indian Coast Guard. It had been designed and constructed by Larsen & Toubro (L&T) Limited.
- It is water jet propelled vessel and can achieve a maximum speed of 45 Knots. It is designed for close coast and shallow water operations and equipped with medium range armaments.
- It will be based at Androth (Lakshadweep and Minicoy Islands) under the operational and administrative control of the Commander, Coast Guard District Headquarters No. 12.